Thursday, July 21, 2016

Dryer "Installation" Drama and Craigslist to the Rescue

As much as I enjoy our funky 1970's kitchen, I assumed one/all of those 40 yr old appliances would be next on the replacement list but alas it was our 6 year old dryer, purchased new, which quit. I was hoping it was the belt but we took it apart and it was something in the motor (my dad had a fancy name for it) so he basically advised us to get a new one. If he thinks it's not worth repairing, then it's not worth repairing. I was thinking go with a refurbished one but the husband was whining about it so FINE he can pick out a new one. I line dry all of the kids and my clothes and the sheets so, apart from towels, he's the only one who uses it. Yes, I will cater to his laundry needs since he does his own laundry!

We found one we liked at Lowe's on sale though the first indication I was not going to be a happy camper about this process was they required us to buy a new cord. "We don't know the current condition of the cord you own" Umm, OK, I do because it's not very old but whatever, it was $15. He asked about the dryer vent hose and I told him that was good - we have a solid metal duct. Haul-away for the old one was $15. I guess, just do it so I don't have to worry about dealing with it!

Delivery day came and they show up, bring in the dryer and ask where I want them to put the old one. The husband had taken the receipt at the store while I had taken little one to the bathroom so I didn't even double check but the other $15 charge on the receipt turned out to be a new crappy accordion dryer vent hose instead of the haul-away fee. OK? The only thing I could have them do is shove it to the side. The guy asked if I wanted to use the old vent and I told him yes, PLEASE! thinking I could return the crappy, lint collecting one. I wasn't paying attention but the next thing I know he couldn't get my old vent pipe/duct onto the new dryer so he whipped out the accordion hose. I informed him not to worry about it, we could finish it up. I really just needed someone to help haul it down into the basement. "oh, no, no, I've got this!!" The accordion one was too small to fit onto the main duct piece which vents outside - at which point I should have told him to leave my house immediately but I am terrible at being a b**** to someone I don't know. He ended up using a piece of my solid duct for the top, attaching the accordion to the bottom of that, wadding up the excess and stuffing it behind the dryer. Yes, you read that correctly, he literally wadded 5+ feet of already-prone-to-collecting-lint hose and stuffed it behind the dryer. Seeming very satisfied with his work he FINALLY left. I was left with a messed up dryer vent and a non-working dryer.

I had no clue what to do with the old dryer and figured I might as well try Craigslist and if someone does happen to show interest, hope it doesn't turn out to be a mass murderer. Someone messaged almost immediately, came promptly wearing an appliance repair-like outfit, had a fancy appliance cart and hauled it away. He didn't even need any help. Geez, OK, next time I know save the haul-away fee because that required almost no effort on my part.

The moral of this story is next time I will try to avoid a big box store for my appliance needs and try for someone more local. Though we have 1? local appliance store I can think of which sells new appliances. So my options are REALLY limited!

My old dryer. I had no real connection since I rarely used it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment