Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Retirement Home? I think not mom and dad!

My dad is retiring in August and my parents have been talking for years about moving down here but they are very picky about what they want in a house. I was thinking they would be downsizing a little and find a nice ranch. Apparently they have something else in mind. I send them house links I spot - some serious, some for fun just because my mom and I like to discuss how we would decorate some crazy houses which pop up. I felt this was an interesting and crazy one for my mom and I to discuss a decorating scheme.

(this is the back? I don't want to know why the don't have a full on front photo)
What I didn't expect was for my parents to ask if I could set up an appointment with the real estate agent because they wanted to check this out and their internet was acting up. Umm, OK. I guess this is the start of their "official" house hunt?

The description makes me wonder about their sanity:
Renovators and/or Developers, this is your chance at a great opportunity an amazing home on over an acre of land right in the middle of town! Originally a Lincoln architect's home, that sat on a much larger parcel of land, now offers a number of possibilities! This grand home is currently in rough shape, but features beautiful woodwork, leaded windows, and spacious rooms all nestled in the heart of the city surrounded by trees. Structurally the home is in great shape and is bursting with historical significance and it's truly worthy of a complete renovation but there's also a lot of potential in the land itself. Don't miss this great opportunity set up your showing today!

"I love the sound of an acre of land in the middle of town!" says my mom.

"Leaded glass windows!?" says my dad. 

They have redone two old houses and are helping my brother and me with our 2 houses so I know they know what they would be getting into. However, I figured they wanted something a little more move in ready and with fewer stairs so they could enjoy their retirement and not worry about trying to redo plumbing, fixing plaster and, um, mowing over an acre of grass! I guess I'll change my search on the real estate listings for them. Anyways, there is plenty of eye candy in this house so I will post more listing photos.

 buffetThe hutch obviously was the first thing that caught my eye. The intriguing back? staircase was the next thing.


Pinned Image

tvI call first dibs on that TV! Though my mom got very excited and said it was just like the one she grew up with so I have a feeling she has first dibs.
These walls would be gorgeous in darker colors to highlight the trim (which I'm guessing is just pine and has always been painted to fit with the semi-colonial theme).
 glassThese caught my dad's eye.

wallpaperI love the wallpaper in this little room. Too bad the wallpaper usually turns out to be water stained and dirty in person!

There are some more random photos of the house on the real estate site. The photos should link to said site.

Our friends own an almost identical house from the same era so I'm guessing it is by the same architect?? There's does have a different layout and it is more craftsman than colonial inside plus it is floor to ceiling Oak. I'm not exaggerating. So this looks like a cheaper version BUT it looks like it has the same 3rd story so if that is the case, and my mom gets up there, we will never get her to leave...

I'm thinking they will come to there senses before they whip out the check book but who knows! They can be a bit eccentric at times. As far as downsizing - I guess this house is 150 sq feet smaller than their current house...











1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. If they buy it, will you keep posting photos? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete