I'm sure everyone was on the edge of their seats by the end of my last post and then I left you hanging for...four months!? Here is a photo of my naughty mermaid to make up for it?
The faucet set fit with relatively little drama. My dad took his dremel and just cut off all of the weird 100 year old corroded on spout and drain pieces. After that, everything fit as it should. Yay!
The before set and before I vinegar-ed out the gross water marks on the sink - Yuck! The faucets looked OK until you started looking at them and realized the hot water said "waste." I do own the hot water...
But as you can see, the hot had seen better days and it is even worse from behind
As you can also see, the drain didn't work. I'm not sure it ever did with this set because the original spout was a porcelain bump out molded in the sink so someone wisely added a metal spout at some point to make it a less awkward hand washing experience.
Eww, sorry, I know. But you get the idea.
I scoured the internet trying to find something with similar handles, a long enough spout to fit over the awkward bump and in my price range - meaning the $600+ Restoration Hardware sets are out. This is the set I found and they were on sale for $120 on Amazon (I know, even that seems like it would be out of my want-to-spend budget if you know me!)
They are manufactured by Kingston Brass and they feel pretty sturdy, time will tell I guess.
A recap, when I moved in this is what I had to work with:
I *think* the sink is done (for now) so at least something is progressing. BUT when we hung the sink back on the wall I didn't notice it was off by an inch so now it isn't centered under the mirror. One would have to disconnect the P trap to scooch it over. Gah! It's always something!
At least I have my naughty mermaid to look at!