Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vintage Words of Wisdom

I found some 1960's decorating books and magazines last weekend at an estate sale and they always have some fun ideas along with a whole bunch of ridiculous ones. All put together you get one entertaining afternoon, in my mind anyways. I think it's a result of HGTV withdrawal but anyways I scanned some photos and the following ones scanned pretty straight so I decided to post them.

First we have a Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book from 1961. This was laying on the floor in front of the bookcase and despite the fact no one had given it a second glance, I was all over it.
Check out the George Nelson Saucer Bubble Lamp!! Dangling awkwardly close to the couch...

Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book, 1961
YES! This definitely needs to apply to me. I like it, I buy it but ohhh, it doesn't match anything. Oh Well! HaHa. I can't say I would ever consider gray and pink flowers with orange plaid but I can't even predict what I might try so you never know.


Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book, 1961
Not only is the sink pink but check out that fab wallpaper! I think the tiles would have been better the darker shade in the wallpaper (the towels imply maybe it is red?) to make the bathroom a bit more androgynous but you have to love those retro colored bathrooms!


Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book, 1961
I'm not sure how that fireplace works nor do I think it is very safe hanging out in the middle of nowhere under some paneling. Oh, I do love that blue chair.


Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book, 1961
Now we have that perfect teen hang out? I know I always enjoyed ogling my heart throbs and scrap booking on the cold, hard linoleum.


Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book, 1961
Hey, I know, lets have silhouette night with the family and then we can hang the results on our window shade so we can stare at our profiles while we eat! Maybe do a little target practice, extra points for getting it in mom's bun!



Next we have a Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen Ideas for 1963

Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen Ideas for 1963
It wouldn't be a kitchen magazine without a crazy appliance ad. All of those happy women in formal gowns happened to be frolicking in the forest when alas, what is this?? A kitchen? Amazing! and look at all of these fabulous appliances, so fabulous in fact I will have to rub my body all over them! On closer inspection, is the kitchen levitating above the brush??


Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen Ideas for 1963
I was excited to see this ad for a flair oven. For some reason they fascinate me at the moment, I mean, the stove slides into the base and the glass on the upper oven is fantastic!


Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen Ideas for 1963
I spy another George Nelson lamp by the TV. I'm not sure about the one above the table. A cross between a camp lantern and a UFO?
Are those some Eames Aluminum chairs to the right? You can barely see them, why would BH&G edit those out of the picture, gesh! I would also like a look at the couch. That definitely looks like an Eero Saarinen side table plopped in the middle of the room to showcase the latest TV Guide too.
All in all a fantastic room, minus those 2 ceiling lights!


Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen Ideas for 1963
OOH, *drool* A blue fridge and what look to be some Eames and/or Saarinen chairs to match that side table. The boulder-esque wall in the kitchen, not so much. Who cleans that? At least the stove is not right next to it.


Finally we have 1,001 Decorating Ideas from 1963
This magazine runs on the garish, kitschy side. It's even a little too garish and kitschy for me!

1,001 Decorating Ideas, 1963
Gotta love the brightly colored cone fireplaces. Oh and mushrooms on block tables? What 60's room is complete without those mushrooms??

They did have a nice excerpt on how to decorate your A-Frame.
1,001 Decorating Ideas from 1963
Good! I always wondered what one would use for window coverings in one of these odd houses and now I know pom-poms are the answer!


1,001 Decorating Ideas from 1963
How to decorate the kids rooms. Now does the first floor appear to go all the way to the top of the A? Where are these bedrooms? I'll assume they have a loft towards the back??


1,001 Decorating Ideas from 1963
Last but not least, do NOT decorate your child's room with that Humpty Dumpty thing. Yikes! Pom-Poms must have also been a running theme, hmm, I'll have to go back through and look.


No comments:

Post a Comment